Sunday, January 11, 2015

Opinionated Game Review - The Reason I (Personally) Don't Like Dragon Age: Inquisition

**Before you read any of this, I would like to point out that this is far from a decent game review as it is very personal and very opinionated.**

I have always been a huge fan of the Dragon Age franchise. I loved Origins, I even really loved DA2. So when Dragon Age: Inquisition was  announced, you can bet that I was more than a little excited about it. Of course, I had to wait for Christmas to get it, but that was only about a month where I had to watch all of my friends commenting about how great it was on Facebook.

Then I got the game.

It could barely run on my laptop. I figured that would be the case. Oh well, just a few more days until I got home from visiting family to my desktop where it would run at least a little better. I was wrong. It ran even worse on my desktop. Granted, it's a pretty old computer, I was still pretty upset. I might have been able to handle it if the game had at least connected to the server, but it wouldn't. I had to log into three different computers before I was able to start a character with my save from the Dragon Age Keep.

Once I finally got my character-- with my world state, which was really important to me, you know-- I started playing. I fought through the slow gameplay, cutscenes, everything. Only to find that Dragon Age: Inquisition was not what I had expected. In fact, it wasn't what I wanted. I had wanted another Dragon Age game. This was not what a Dragon Age was to me.

Now, I'm not very far in at all, honestly, but I had my heart so set on something spectacular, that I haven't really enjoyed any of the game I've played.

I miss my auto attack. I don't like that I can't have my character attacking while I make decisions or use my special attacks. And with the duel-wielding rogue, which is what I've always played before, I have to move to the enemies. I move so freaking slow, too. I hate it. In fact, I have half a mind to just sit back and watch combat instead because I feel so inefficient and it's awful and cumbersome. Of course, for the first few combat sequences I kept jumping around like an idiot because I was trying to pause the game like I would in the first two games, but, for whatever reason, now I jump.

That's another thing I dislike: the jump. First of all, I can't jump in Dragon Age. It's a fact of like. Second, my jump animation is terrible looking. My character looks like a fool every time she jumps.

Now, I know jump was added because of the traversal of the terrain, but running around a giant world is not the reason I play Dragon Age. If I wanted to spend all my time travelling from place to place, I'd be playing an MMO. I don't want to have an open world. Personally, I hate open worlds in games. I get lost, confused, and eventually just stop playing because I can't find anything I'm looking for when I want it. But really, the whole forcing me to run from place to place just annoys me. I want my fast travel back-- not fast travel like in the game right now, no. I want the small, easy to navigate levels where I can fight without massive tree branches blocking my view; I want to go from area to area to complete quests without having to search for this, that, and the other.

I think, aside from the open world and travel, my absolute least favorite part is that I can't hold down tab to see the names of things. I see an enemy in the distance, I press tab to see what it's called. Now, I sort of select the enemy and things start happening. I don't want that. I want to go back to being able to hold tab and see the names of everything interactable. It allowed be to assess the situation, the enemies I was about to fight and focus on the ones I knew for sure I needed to take down first. Now I'm in the middle of a cluster-fuck of I-don't-know-what's-going-on-in-this-fight. So I just hold down the attack button and wave the mouse around in hopes of surviving. It also really doesn't help that the attack button is now left click instead of right click. I'm having trouble thinking of a game I can remember playing that wasn't a shooter where I attacked with left click.

I'm not sure I need to mention it, but I also really dislike the fact that I can't right-click on an object and move to it to interact with it. This goes for looting, opening doors, talking to people... the whole lot of actions I used to be able to do. I haven't tried it yet since I hardly ever used it in previous games, but I'm not sure I can even tell my characters to move with right click.

Now, this might be a bug or something, but I found that I was becoming very greatly annoyed with the people that just stood around and talked with one another. There were several times were I was walking and came across two people talking and could not walk between them. It was as if there was a wall there, just because there were talking. I actually got really angry and yelled at the NPC's to move. It didn't work, of course, but I tried.

I have heard great things about the story over and over again, but the gameplay is nothing I ever wanted. In fact, gameplay may be the reason I don't finish this game because there is simply too much time where I'm not interacting with other characters now.

These are my thoughts on my I'm disappointed in this game after playing only for a few hours. I'm hoping I'll be able to suck it up and keep going because I want to love this game the way I loved the first two. I just wish this game was more like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment