Saturday, April 06, 2013

Sunitha - Fifteen

At the age of twelve, Sunitha's parents had thrown a party, a big celebration for little Sunitha becoming a woman. It was tradition. She had reached puberty and was given her first sari and presented as an adult now. It had been terribly exciting. But that was three years ago. Today, she was turning fifteen. Some hundreds of years ago, the tradition of celebrating a girl's fifteenth year had made its way to India. Sunitha's brother Samaah had insisted on throwing the biggest party for his little sister for her fifteenth, even if her parents were not so keen on the new tradition. They argued it was not necessary, she had already become a woman and did not need to have a second coming of age celebration. Samaah did not listen, to say the least.

When May 17 rolled around, Samaah burst into Sunitha's room almost as soon as the sun had risen. The sixteen-year-old all but jumped on his little sister. Suffice it to say, Sunitha had not been expecting the wake up call. She jumped, waking with a start and a scream. It only took a few moments to recognize it was her brother, though, and once she did, she grabbed her pillow and hit him playfully with the fluffy object. Samaah pulled her out of bed, explaining all the while that he was taking her out for her birthday. He didn't say where, just "out." Sunitha pulled on her favorite sari after washing up. Finally she was ready to go. She could not stop smiling as the excitement of a day out with her brother coursed through her.

It was only six hours later when he was dragging her home. Confusion barely started to cover how she was feeling. He had promised a whole day out, not less than half of a day. But she trusted her brother, following him blindly.

When they walked into the house, it was dark. Sunitha blinked against the darkness as her eyes adjusted. Turning to her brother, she had a knowing sort of look on her face. A surprise party. Or something along those lines. That was what this sort of thing always turned out to be. Samaah gave her a dorky sort of smile as he shrugged, flicking the lights on. Everyone jumped out shouting "Happy Birthday!" Some said it in English, others in Hindi. Either way, it was a wonderful sentiment. Dheeraj and Amar had even come home to visit, just for her birthday. The two of them swept up their baby sister and carried her, on their shoulders, into the next room.

Once her feet were on the floor once again, she threw her arms around each of them in turn, tears of joy running over her cheeks. Her parents, while they did not approve of the giant celebration, were glad to see their only daughter so happy.

The celebration lasted for four full hours. Dancing, games, food, it was everything she could have dreamed of and more. Her friends were all there, and some of them had brought her gifts. Some came with well wishes. Sunitha preferred the latter-- she never felt like she really deserved gifts from others, but she always appreciated them and accepted them with a grateful smile. Her mother even took part in the celebration, giving her the gift of a new sari. It was a beautiful sapphire blue, Sunitha's favorite color. The gold accents on the sari gave it an almost formal look. Sunitha loved the gift more than she could say. It was beautiful, it was perfect.

............................................................................................................

17 May, 2358
Dear Diary,
Today was my fifteenth birthday. Samaah took me out all morning, and we had a wonderful time! He even got me an ice-cream cone! I had expected to spend the entire day out with him, but he fooled me. We came home and everyone was waiting. I knew what was going on as soon as we came in. But, oh! It was a wonderful celebration. Nina was there! I was surprised to see her since she moved away five years ago. I was so overcome with happiness that I could hardly stop myself from crying. I did cry once or twice, but it was only because I was so happy. I cannot think of a day where I have ever been as happy as I have been today. This has been the best birthday, the best day. It will be difficult for anything to be better than today. 

I was given gifts. That was something I did not expect. I received some lovely chocolates and beautiful jewelry. But the gift from Mother was the best. A sari. Sapphire blue, my favorite color. When I opened it, I was shocked. I did not think she would get me something so beautiful. I did not think she would get me anything at all. But this sari. If I could wear it every day, I think I would. It is my favorite color. I love it so much. I think I am about to cry again, I am so happy.

....................................................................................................................

That night, long after the celebration had ended and everything had been cleaned up, Sunitha had fallen asleep with a grin on her face and the new sari in her arms. It had been an absolutely perfect day. When her mother came in to check on her, she only saw the same little girl who had been falling asleep with a stuffed bear in her arms just a few years ago. To her, Sunitha would always be a child, her baby. With an almost sad smile on her face, Sunitha's mother took the sari and draped it on a chair where it would not be ruined. With a kiss on Sunitha's forehead, her mother dimmed the lights and left her youngest to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment